The 2013-14 academic year will focus on the characteristics and research-based best practices of effective teaching and learning in a technology-enriched, personalized learning environment. Primary analysis will involve the impact of technology-enriched instruction upon the academic and social achievement of PK-12 students, including student engagement and teacher-student relationships. The research will include a specific focus on the educational impact of 1:1 technology, as well as other types of instructional technology.
All data will be disaggregated and analyzed for the participating districts and will be prepared for each district. Data will also be aggregated across districts to study trends.
The collection and analysis of data to answer 12 approved research questions will guide the research for the 2013-14 academic year.
- Will a 1:1 technology initiative result in an increase in student achievement in communication arts or mathematics?
- Will a 1:1 technology initiative result in increased student attendance rates?
- Will a 1:1 technology initiative result in increased graduation rates?
- Will a 1:1 technology initiative result in increased student motivation to learn?
- Will a 1:1 technology initiative result in increased student information literacy and technology skills?
- Will a 1:1 technology initiative result in improving any of the four Cs (communication, collaboration, creativity, or critical thinking) of the 21st century learning skills as described in the Common Core Standards?
- Will a 1:1 technology initiative result in improved teacher efficacy (more efficient/effective teaching strategies)?
- Will a 1:1 technology initiative result in more efficient cost benefits?
- What type of 1:1 technology implementation results in higher student achievement gains and ability to meet the Common Core Standards?
- Does the use of e-texts result in higher student performance than using hard copy textbooks?
- What kind of professional learning for teachers results in teacher self-efficacy? (Includes professional learning frequency, time allotted, content, coaching, follow-up, etc.)
- What software applications are being used most effectively in the OERI technology initiatives?