Vision Certification Courses
Missouri State has courses available for certification in visual impairment and blindness. These courses are master's level courses, endorsed by DESE and there is tuition reimbursement available upon completion. These courses are held throughout the school year and are scheduled for teachers to attend without time off. These courses are for certified teachers, student teachers pursuing a degree, and other interested individuals.
- Braille instruction I & II
- Anatomy of the eye for TVI
- Methods of Instructing Students That Are Visually Impaired
- Applications of Low Vision for TVI
- Applications of Orientation and Mobility for TVI
Contact the BSS office for more details.
In-services are a good format to educate classmates, professionals and families of students with low vision or blindness. This is a way to help those working with the student to better understand their needs and abilities. It also provides a forum for providing resources and understanding what services are needed to assist the student. Contact the BSS office to arrange an in-service for the district or if there are further questions regarding in-services.
Types of in-services:
- Service delivery model suggested for districts
- Hands-on activities for student's ands staff using blindfolds or simulators.
- Understanding Braille reading and writing basics.
- Understanding low vision and educational implications
- Understanding medical implications of vision loss basics.
- Technology for students with low vision or blindness.
- Each in-service could be a combination of topics depending on the audience. The most effective in-services are with the audience participating in the activities. Terminology would be kept at the level of the audience, especially for younger children. Again, contact the BSS office to inquire about scheduling an in-service.
Periodically, the BSS office will schedule workshops for teachers, families, professionals and students. These are on topics relevant to improving educational programming for students with low vision or blindness. These workshops will be held in the region. Contact the BSS office to be placed on the contact list!
Professionals and parents are encouraged to attend selected sessions of courses held at Missouri State for vision teacher certification. Check with the BSS office regarding these attending these sessions.