April Workshop on Child-Parent Relationship Training
Dr. R.Paul Maddox II, Ph.D., NCC, LPC and Mrs. Rebecca J. Smotherman, MS, PSC, LPC-S, Registered Play Therapist will be presenting on April 2, 2016. For more information click here.
Why study counseling at Missouri State?
- MSU's Graduate Counseling program is CACREP® accredited, providing students with a national standard of education and professionalism.
- You will have opportunities to practice the necessary skills using current theories and practices of school and mental health counselors. The framework of the reflective practitioner is at the core of the program to prepare you to enter the profession.
- Our faculty are all seasoned and licensed clinicians that are committed to sharing their experiences and knowledge with our students.
- Successful completion of the program prepares you to sit for certification and licensure.
- We offer live supervision and professional workshops in our in-house community-client-based Center City Counseling Clinic as well as multiple options for electives.
- The Institute for Play Therapy was nationally certified by the Association for Play Therapy® in 2012 and provides supervised training opportunities for the acquisition of the Registered Play Therapist (RPT) and RPT Supervisor credentials
- We foster the education of clinicians by providing multicultural experiences, personal growth opportunities and skill development through labs and experiential classes.
Why does CACREP® matter?
- The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP®), is a specialized accrediting body that is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation® (CHEA).
- The Mental Health Counseling (M.S.) and School Counseling (M.S.) programs were granted accreditation in January 2016 after rigorous scrutiny.
- National standards of education ensure portability of licensure.
- Streamlined licensure application process.
- CACREP graduates perform better on the National Counselor Examination for Licensure and Certification (NCE)®
Developing self-awareness through personal study
In the counseling program, we believe becoming a counselor is a life changing process that is best accomplished through increasing self-awareness and engaging in a healing process with others. Our program emphasizes the development of the whole individual, including not only the academic, but also the personal and interpersonal processes and professional dispositions inherent in becoming an effective, reflective counseling practitioner.