Developing self-awareness through personal study
In the counseling program, we believe becoming a counselor is a life changing process that is best accomplished through increasing self-awareness and engaging in a healing process with others. Our program emphasizes the development of the whole individual, including not only the academic, but also the personal and interpersonal processes and professional dispositions inherent in becoming an effective, reflective counseling practitioner.
Why study counseling?
In our program you can expect to acquire knowledge, expertise and skills in current theory and practice of the school and community counseling professions, within an overall conceptual framework of the reflective practitioner.
The following 10 general learning outcomes are an overview of what you will learn in our program:
- Orientation: Knowledge of personal attributes (self-understanding) and professional identity issues central to the profession of counseling
- Foundations: Knowledge of psychological and educational foundations of the profession
- Assessment: Competence in measuring, assessing and diagnosing psychological and educational attributes
- Information: Knowledge about personal-social and educational-career issues, research and resources
- Facilitation: Competence in interpersonal communication, counseling, educating and consulting with individuals and groups
- Intervention: Competencies in the counseling process
- Diversity: Knowledge about differences in cultures and competence in working with diverse clients
- Management: Competence in planning, developing and implementing counseling programs
- Technology: Knowledge of technological resources and competence in their use
- Ethics: Knowledge, understanding and practice of ethical standards for the profession
Why study counseling at Missouri State?
- Successful completion of the program prepares you to sit for certification and licensure.
- You will have more than 700 hours of hands-on experience prior to graduation.
- Our faculty are all seasoned and licensed clinicians that are committed to sharing their experiences and knowledge with our students.