In order to meet Missouri state teacher certification requirements, candidates for the Bachelor of Science in Education degree are required to meet the following grade point average requirements: at least a 2.75 GPA on all course work attempted at all colleges attended; at least a 3.00 GPA in the certificate subject area (major field of study) which includes all courses listed under B and C; at least a 3.00 GPA in any additional certificate subject area; at least a 3.00 GPA in the professional education courses; and no grade lower than a "C" in all professional education courses. All GPA requirements include both Missouri State and transfer grades.
Additionally, students must pass all sections of the Missouri State Board of Education entry examination and successfully complete the Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments (MEGA) as established by the Missouri Board of Education.
All students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Program and have successfully completed Supervised Teaching in order to earn this degree. Refer to application procedures in the Teacher Certification, Teacher Education Program and Secondary Education Requirements section of catalog.
- General Education Requirements - see General Education Program and Requirements section of catalog (44-48 hours)
Specific courses required for major and/or certification which may be used to satisfy General Education Requirements:
- Focus on Written Communication (6 hours): ENG 110(3) and ENG 210(3)
- Focus on Quantitative Literacy: Completion of general education requirement with a grade of "C" or better. MTH 130(3) recommended.
- Focus on Oral Communication: COM 115(3)
- Focus on Life Sciences: BIO 100(4)
- Focus on Physical Sciences: PHY 101(4)
- Focus on Social and Behavioral Sciences: PSY 121(3)
- Courses used to meet the Focus on Humanities and the Focus on the Arts must have two (2) different course codes to meet state certification requirements. ART 200 or MUS 241 recommended.
- Focus on Constitution of U.S. and Missouri and American History and Institutions: HST 121(3) or HST 122(3); and PLS 101(3)
- Other courses required for degree (4 hours): GRY 135(4) or GRY 142(4) or GRY 240(4)
- Degree Requirements for Teacher Certification (25 hours):
- Professional Education (56 hours): Note: A grade of "C" or better in each course is required for state certification.
Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of ECE 401(3).
- This program also requires compliance with the Teacher Education Program requirements for eligibility to enroll in Professional Education courses; admission to and continuance in the Teacher Education Program; approval for supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification. Refer to the Teacher Education Program section of the catalog for requirements.
- General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements - see General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements section of catalog