In order to meet Missouri state teacher certification requirements, candidates for the Bachelor of Science in Education degree are required to meet the following grade point average requirements: at least a 2.75 GPA on all course work attempted at all colleges attended; at least a 3.00 GPA in the certificate subject area (major field of study) which includes all courses listed under B and C; at least a 3.00 GPA in any additional certificate subject area; at least a 3.00 GPA in the professional education courses; and no grade lower than a "C" in all professional education courses. All GPA requirements include both Missouri State and transfer grades.
Additionally, students must pass all sections of the Missouri State Board of Education entry examination and successfully complete the Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments (MEGA) as established by the Missouri Board of Education.
All students must be admitted to the Teacher Education Program and have successfully completed Supervised Teaching in order to earn this degree. Refer to application procedures in the Teacher Certification, Teacher Education Program and Secondary Education Requirements section of catalog.
- General Education Requirements - see General Education Program and Requirements section of catalog (43-51 hours)
Specific courses required for major and/or certification which may be used to satisfy General Education Requirements:
- Basic Required Courses:
- English Composition (6 hours): ENG 110(3) and ENG 210(3)
- Mathematics: Completion of general education requirement with a grade of "C" or better. MTH 130(3) recommended.
- Public Speaking: COM 115(3)
- Areas of Inquiry:
- Natural World: PHY 101(4) and BIO 100(4)
- Self-Understanding/Social-Behavioral Perspective: PSY 121(3)
- Courses used to meet the Humanities and the Creativity and Vision Perspectives must have two (2) different course codes to meet state certification requirements. ART 200 or MUS 241 recommended.
- Public Affairs/American Studies:
- HST 121(3) or HST 122(3)
- PLS 101(3)
- Other courses required for degree (4 hours): GRY 135(4) or GRY 142(4) or GRY 240(4)
- Degree Requirements for Teacher Certification (25 hours):
- Child Development: CFD 160(3), CSD 312(3); KIN 545(3)
- Home-School-Community Relationships: CFD 560(3)
- Program Management: BMS 130(3); CFD 260(4), 563(3)
- Mathematics: MTH 320(3)
- Professional Education (56 hours): Note: A grade of "C" or better in each course is required for state certification.
- Foundations of Teaching: EDC 345(3), 350(3); ELE 302(3); SPE 310(3)
- Teaching Methods: CFD 455(4); ECE 301(3), 302(2), 303(3), 304(1), 401(3), 402(2); EDT 365(3); ENG 334(3); RDG 318(3); 420(3), 421(2)
- Clinical Experiences: choose 2 of the following 3 courses: ECE 490(6), 491(6), or 492(6)
- This program also requires compliance with the Teacher Education Program requirements for eligibility to enroll in Professional Education courses; admission to and continuance in the Teacher Education Program; approval for supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification. Refer to the Teacher Education Program section of the catalog for requirements.
- General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements - see General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements section of catalog