Policies and Procedures for Out of Area, State, and Country Student Teaching
BSED – Approved 4/20/2010
PEC – Approved 5/5/2010
The Educational Field Experiences Office is responsible for the placement of teacher candidates in cooperation with the academic department of the student’s major for all education programs at Missouri State. The majority of teacher candidates are placed within the 24 county area surrounding Springfield, MO or within the Kansas City or St. Louis areas. Placements in Missouri, but outside the 24 county area, are considered “Out of Area”.
It is the responsibility of Missouri State University to provide the highest quality training for teachers who will become certified in the State of Missouri. Missouri State is required to ensure that all students who complete our education programs have a thorough understanding of Missouri teaching standards.
Please email all documents to email@example.com.
Out of Area required documents deadlines: September 15th for spring and March 1st for fall.
Out of Area (Within Missouri) Student Teaching
Placement within the State of Missouri, but outside the 24 county area surrounding Springfield, MO , are allowed with prior approval of the content area department and completion of the list of documents below. Additional items may be requested by specific districts.
Note: Students approved for Out of Area placement will be assessed an additional student teaching fee. This fee covers any additional costs incurred when placing and supervising teacher candidates outside the 24 county area.
- Out of Area Departmental Approval Placement Request form. This document will serve as verification of departmental approval. Please note that you must also complete the online student teaching application by the appropriate deadline. Information about completing the application can be found here.
- Philosophy of education
- Three letters of reference
- Verification of FBI fingerprinting through MACHS. Please view the fingerprinting instructions for complete information. FBI fingerprinting results are valid for one year from the clearance date. Renew if not valid through the last day of student teaching.
- Substitute Certificate. Please view the Substitute Certificate instructions for complete information.
- REQUEST FOR CHILD ABUSE OR NEGLECT/CRIMINAL RECORD form - Check "No Charge" in the upper left corner. Complete, sign, and return by email, or in person, to Hill Hall 200.
- Negative TB skin test results - TB skin test results are valid for one year. Renew if not valid through the last day of student teaching.
- Professional liability insurance
Out of State Student Teaching
Departmental approval is required. If approved, the student is required to schedule an appointment with Kim Dubree, Coordinator, Educational Field Experiences at 417-836-5253.
Placement outside Missouri, but within the United States, must be requested at least ONE YEAR PRIOR to the student teaching semester.
Out of State placement requires the following documents:
- Completion of the Request and Approval to Student Teach Out of State or Out of Country form. This form is submitted to the program coordinator of the student's certification area for departmental approval. The following items must be submitted with the application.
- Essay describing why an Out of State placement is requested
- Detailed demographic information describing the school district and school setting requested
- Recommendation from the program coordinator of the student's certification area
- All documentation listed in the section above for Out of Area (within Missouri) Student Teaching is also required for Out of State Student Teaching, excluding Substitute Certificate.
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.75
- Content area GPA of at least 3.0
- Professional Education GPA of at least 3.0
- Completion of departmental application process for out of area placement (if applicable) and meeting of all departmental criteria
Students approved for Out of State placement will be assessed an additional student teaching fee. This fee covers any additional costs incurred when placing and supervising teacher candidates outside the 24 county area.
Out of Country Student Teaching
Placement outside the United States must be requested at least ONE YEAR PRIOR to the student teaching semester.
Missouri State University currently has an agreement to provide placements on military bases through the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA). Students who have a legitimate need for placement in a DoDEA setting should complete the Request and Approval to Student Teach Out of State or Out of Country form and clearly indicate the need to be placed in a DoDEA setting. Upon receiving initial approval for this experience through Missouri State, the students will be asked to complete additional application materials required by the DoDEA. If approved, the placement and supervision will be provided by the DoDEA.
Students who request an out of country placement for non-military reasons or outside the DoDEA program must also complete the Application for Out of State/Country Student Teaching.
Out of Country placement requires the same documentation required by Out of State placement (see above for application process).