Missouri State University and local school district policy requires a current FBI fingerprinting national background check for ALL education students enrolled in student teaching courses, for any students enrolled in a course containing a practicum consisting of more than 30 clock hours, or for other special conditions as required by department.
A current FBI fingerprinting national background check is required even if students are working on a Provisional, Temporary or Substitute Certificate, or working as a Teacher's Aide. Students must be in compliance with this requirement before their practicum or student teaching begins. An FBI fingerprinting background check is also required for an Initial Professional Certificate (IPC).
All students enrolled in a course requiring a practicum over 30 hours, or student teaching, are required to obtain an FBI fingerprinting background check by selecting one of the 4-digit registration code options below:
Option 1: Teacher Education Programs
NOTE: It is most cost-effective to obtain a Substitute Certificate at the time an FBI fingerprinting background check is first required. The majority of school districts in which MSU teacher candidates are placed require a substitute certificate for student teaching placement.
Register (scroll for complete registration instructions) with the Missouri State Highway Patrol using the 4-digit Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) registration code 2300 (for students who already hold a Substitute Certificate) OR registration code 2301 (for students applying for a Substitute Certificate.) Registration with code 2301 requires the student to apply and obtain a substitute certificate. After entering the 4-digit registration code in the field, the screen will automatically display Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. These results will display on your DESE Educator Certification System profile and can be used for a substitute certificate, practicum, student teaching, and Initial Professional Certificate. Clearance usually takes 7-10 days. If you have questions regarding Option 1, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 417-836-5937 or 836-8347.
In order to verify compliance of FBI fingerprinting background check requirements, a full DESE profile screen shot including DESE's logo must be submitted to email@example.com . Start the screen shot at the top of the page with DESE's logo and capture the entire screen to include the fingerprinting background check information. Redact your SSN before emailing.
Option 2: Non-Certification Programs
This option requires the student to complete and sign the MOVECHS Waiver Agreement form prior to beginning the registration process for FBI fingerprinting. The waiver agreement form must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org . The FBI fingerprinting registration code will be emailed to you upon receipt of the MOVECHS Waiver Agreement form.
Register (scroll for complete registration instructions) on the Missouri Automated Criminal History System using the 4-digit Missouri State University (MOVECHS) registration code that will be emailed to you. After entering the 4-digit registration code in the field, the screen will automatically display MSU College of Education. The fingerprinting results will be sent to the MSU College of Education and entered in MSU Test Scores.
This FBI fingerprinting national background check will be used to check the criminal history records of the state repository and FBI.
NOTE: A MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting cannot be used when applying for a Substitute Certificate or Initial Certificate.
If you have questions regarding Option 2, please email email@example.com or call 417-836-5937 or 836-8347.
Registration Instructions for FBI Fingerprinting
- Students must register on the Missouri Automated Criminal History System (MACHS) at www.machs.mo.gov to be fingerprinted through 3M Cogent.
- Go to www.machs.mo.gov and choose “Click Here to Register with the Fingerprint Search Portal".
- Choose "Click here to register with MACHS".
- Choose "Please Enter the 4-digit registration code provided by your Employer or Licensing Agency into the field below and click 'Enter'." (See information above for 4-digit code options) Verify that the agency information is correct.
- When agency is verified, begin entering personal demographic data into the fields provided. When finished, click “Register”.
- At the top of the Missouri Fingerprint Background Check Summary an 8-character Transaction Control Number (TCN) is displayed. This number will be used to track the student's fingerprints through the background check process. Verify that the information entered is correct and click "Complete Registration".
- Payment: The fee for the fingerprinting process is $40.30. Any other option offered will not be valid. Options are given to pay for the background check online or at the fingerprinting location.
- For a complete map of Cogent Fingerprint service location sites in your area, click "Fingerprint Location Map" from the Missouri State Highway Patrol MACHS home web page.
- When payment arrangements have been completed, a receipt will be provided that shows the student's transaction control number (TCN). Take the TCN receipt to the fingerprinting location chosen.
- When fingerprinting is completed, a second receipt will be provided by the fingerprinting agency.
Expiration dates of clearance documents can be viewed in My Missouri State TEST SCORES.
Educational Field Experiences - Hill Hall 215
Compliance Documents - Hill Hall 200
Office Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
Fax number: 417-836-5008