MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY POLICY requires all education students to have current professional liability insurance during all practicum and student teaching experiences. Students must provide verification of current professional liability insurance to the Educational Field Experiences office.
Students may purchase insurance from either Missouri State Teachers Association or Missouri National Education Association, both of which provide professional liability insurance for educators. See notes below regarding Counseling student and Child Life student professional liability insurance instructions.
- Missouri State Teachers Association (MSTA): Insurance is obtained by joining or renewing your membership at http://www.msta.org/join/ . Select the STUDENT MSTA option. If you need assistance or have questions, contact Member Care Center (800-392-0532, ext. 1203). When the transaction is complete, you will receive a "Do Not Reply" email containing a black/white "Order Summary" which will serve as verification of compliance. Valid email receipt will contain student's name and dates of coverage.
- Missouri National Education Association (MNEA): Insurance is obtained by joining or renewing your MNEA membership at www.mnea.org . Select the Student Membership option. When the transaction is complete, you will receive a "verification/welcome letter" email which will serve as verification of compliance. Valid welcome letter will contain student's name and dates of coverage.
- Counseling students: Required to obtain insurance through either ACA or ASCA
- Child Life students: Required to obtain Child Life specific Professional Liability Insurance prior to enrolling in the following courses: CFD 354 Working With the Hospitalized Child, CFD 454 Therapeutic Play, CFD 466 Internship in Programs for Children, Youth, Adults, and Families, and CFD 499 Child Life Practicum. In order to obtain Child Life specific Professional Liability Insurance, students can contact either Healthcare Providers Service Organization or Mercer Inc. (Formerly Marsh). Healthcare Providers Service Organization can be reached at 1-800-982-9491, and Marsh/ Mercer Inc. at 1-800-503-9230. When setting up a policy, students may be required to enroll as either a rehabilitation therapist or child development/family services counselor. Once enrolled students can work with the insurers to have their policies amended to read "child life specialist."
PROCEDURE FOR SUBMITTING VERIFICATION OF COMPLIANCE
1. Taskstream account - required - (will be notified by Dr. James Sottile via email with instructions regarding the purchase of a Taskstream account)
Save the email receipt/welcome letter in PDF format and upload in the compliance tool in Taskstream.
2. Taskstream account - NOT required
Submit the email receipt/welcome letter to the Educational Field Experiences office (Hill 215 or 200), electronically to email@example.com, or via fax to 417-836-5008.
Valid clearance dates can be verified in My Missouri State TEST SCORES.
Educational Field Experiences
Hill Hall, Room 215
Office Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
Fax number: 417-836-5008
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org