Presented by the
Ziggurat Group, PA
5232 Village Creek Drive, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75093
The Ziggurat Model: Planning Comprehensive Behavioral Interventions for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders
The Ziggurat Model is a guide for designing comprehensive behavior interventions for individuals of all ages with autism spectrum disorders. The Model has been adopted at the district-wide and state-wide levels. The Ziggurat approach centers on a five level system, structured in a hierarchy. Each level represents an area that must be addressed in order for an intervention plan to be comprehensive. The premise of the Ziggurat Model is that underlying needs and characteristics related to the autism spectrum must be addressed. Assessment tools to facilitate this process will be introduced.
Parents, teachers, speech pathologists, psychologists, physicians, occupational therapists, counselors, school administrators, autism consultants, and others will benefit from this training. Emphasis is placed on working as an intervention team. Through hands-on exercises, participants will learn to:
- Recognize strategies with empirical support
- Select appropriate strategies for an individual
- Address underlying needs through comprehensive interventions
The Ziggurat Model is unique in its approach and fills a void by providing a framework for organizing the range of possible interventions and assuring that true, meaningful needs are addressed.
WORKSHOP LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
Participants will be able to:
- Discuss theories that attempt to explain the signs and symptoms of autism
- Use specially designed assessment tools to identify the relationship of underlying characteristics of ASD with observable behavior:
- A survey of underlying characteristics (UCC)
- A survey of individual strengths and skills (ISSI)
- List five areas required for a comprehensive intervention
- Identify research validated strategies for intervention on each of the five levels of the Ziggurat
- Identify common pitfalls in intervention design for individuals with ASD
RUTH ASPY, Ph.D., is a licensed psychologist in private practice with the Ziggurat Group. Dr. Aspy specializes in assessment and intervention for individuals with autism spectrum disorders. She is co creator of a comprehensive model of intervention. Along with Dr. Barry Grossman, Dr. Aspy has written The Ziggurat Model. Dr. Aspy speaks internationally. She has experience in both the clinic and school settings. Dr. Aspy has facilitated in the establishment of innovative training programs for parents of children with ASD.
BARRY G. GROSSMAN, Ph.D., is a licensed psychologist and author. He is in private practice with the Ziggurat Group and specializes in assessment and intervention for individuals with autism spectrum disorders. Dr. Grossman, along with Dr. Aspy, wrote The Ziggurat Model—a book on designing interventions for students with Asperger’s Disorder and high-functioning autism. He and his co-author present on this model internationally. The Ziggurat Model has been adopted at the district-wide and state-wide levels.
The Ziggurat Thinking Workshop
We do not yet have a Ziggurat workshop scheduled for the coming school year. We will post an announcement on our social media pages and blog when we do.