Our elementary principal specialist program requires 61 credit hours. The program serves as one of the conditions for advanced certification in the state of Missouri. Practical aspects of the principalship are emphasized, and a research component is required.
Refer to How to Apply for more information about application.
Refer to Program Requirements for more information about the program.
The following 30 hours of coursework are required for completion:
Required Coursework (22 hrs)
||Curriculum Design and Evaluation
||Elective hours must include the two courses listed above and Advisor-advisee approval for remaining 12 hours
||Special Topics (EAD 870 or other courses with Advisor approval)
Research Sequence (6 hrs)
|Research in Administrative Practices
Field Research and Evaluation
Required 800-level courses - 28 hours. Students earning the EdS degree-Elementary Principal are prepared for career certification by DESE as an elementary principal if they have earned a masters degree in educational administration or have successfully completed the following educational administration courses as required by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for building level certificate:
- Foundations of Educational Administration (3 hrs)
- K-12 Principalship (3 hrs)
- Internship for Elementary School Principals - On-Site Parts I & II (2 hrs)
- Internship for Elementary Principals - Related Agencies (1 hr)
- Legal and Ethical Contexts of Schooling (3 hrs)
- Supervision and Performance Enhancement (3 hrs)
- K-12 Curriculum for Building Level Principals (3 hrs)
- Organizational Management (3 hrs)
- Administration of Special Programs (3 hrs)
Students are required to pass building level state assessments prior to receiving certification.
All Educational Administration courses are taught using Missouri State Direct, or live interactive technology.