About the Beginning Teacher Assistance Program (BTAP)
5 CSR 20-400.385 Beginning Teacher Assistance Program
PURPOSE: Section 168.400, RSMo Supp.2015 and section 168.021.1, establish the completion of a beginning teacher assistance program (BTAP) as a requirement of certification. This proposed rule establishes minimum requirements for an effective BTAP. A well-designed and implemted BTAP with ongoing support can improve practice, helping new educators have the skills and knowledge to positively impact student achievement.
(1) All new teachers are required to participate in a beginning teacher assistance program (BTAP) planned with assistance from a Missouri teacher education program and provided by an education association, regional service center, school district, or charter school. The BTAP is designed for teachers in either their first or second year of teaching. The minimum requirements for the program shall include, but not be limited to, an oeverview of the topics listed below:
(A) Classroom Environment -
1. Classroom management techniques;
2. Time, space, transitions and activities management; and
3. Awareness of diverse classorom, school, and community culutures;
(B) Student Engagement and Motivation -
1. Effective instruction;
2. Clear learning goals and/or objectives;
3. Student voice and choice; and
4. Teaching and learning activities with high student engagement;
(C) Professional Communication -
1. Effective communication with students, mentors, colleagues and parents;
2. Verbal and nonverbal communication techniques; and
3. Effective use of technology and social medial for communication; and
(D) Education-Related Law-
1. Certification requirements;
2. Professional rights and responsibilities; and
3. Self-assessment and professional learning.
(2) An effecitve program is aligned with professional develpopment/growth plans focused on teaching standards and indicators as priorities for the first two(2) years of teaching, and provides on-going support during the year of BTAP.