Dr. Sascha C. Mowrey
Childhood Ed and Family Studies
Dr. Sascha Mowrey is assistant professor in the childhood education and family studies department. She teaches in the early childhood education program, where she prepares undergraduate students for classroom teaching, primarily in preschool-grade 3. She also teaches in the early childhood and family development master’s program, working with graduate students focused on deepening their knowledge of early childhood education and developing research projects.
Her research focuses on early childhood educators’ professional roles, social networks and the development of professional collaboration and culture. Mowrey has previously worked for public schools in North Carolina and California.
- PhD, Learning, Teaching and Diversity, 2017, Vanderbilt University
- MAT, Early Childhood and Elementary Education, 2004, Willamette University
- BA, Human Development, 2003, University of California, San Diego
- BA, Linguistics, 2003, University of California, San Diego
- ECE 304 The Early Childhood Professional
- ECE 401 Curriculum for Early Childhood Education
- ECE 402 Assessing Young Children
- ECE 403 Integrated Arts in the Early Childhood Curriculum
- ECE 575/675 Study Away Mexico—Seeing the World through Young Children’s Eyes
- ECE 724 Foundations of Early Childhood Education
- ECE 731 Advanced Curriculum Development for Early Childhood Programs
- ECE 762 Seminar in Early Childhood and Family Development
- ECE 771 Proposal Development
- Mowrey, S.C. (June 2017). Collaboration and teaching teams: A social network analysis of collaboration and mentoring. Poster presented at the National Association for the Education of Young Children Professional Learning Institute, San Francisco, CA.
- Mowrey, S.C. (April 2017). Collaboration and teaching teams: A social network analysis of leaders, teachers and assistants in three pre-kindergarten schools. Poster presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Austin, TX.
- Mowrey, S.C. & King, E. K. (in press). Sharing experiences and working better together: Within and across-sector collaboration among public preschool educators.
- Mowrey, S.C. & Farran, D.C. (2016). Performance and preparation: Alignment between student achievement, teacher ratings, and parent perceptions in urban middle-grades mathematics classrooms. Journal of Urban Learning, Teaching and Research, 12, 61-74.
Research and professional interests
- Pre-kindergarten to 3rd grade education
- Professional roles and identities
- Educators’ social networks
- Assistant teachers in early childhood education
- Professional culture and capital
- Pre-kindergarten to kindergarten transitions and school readiness
Awards and honors
- Outstanding Graduate Mentor Nominee, Missouri State University Graduate College, March 2019
- Diversity Scholar, Missouri State University Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning, September 2018
- College of Education Conference Travel Award, Missouri State University
- Peabody Dean’s Fellowship, Vanderbilt University
- Graduate Honor Scholarship, Vanderbilt University
- Mary Stuart Rodgers Scholarship, Willamette University
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of California San Diego
Areas of expertiseEducation and literacy
How to Know If Your Child Is Ready for Kindergarten
Early childhood education expert Dr. Sascha Mowrey highlights a few traits.
How to Help Your Child Make Friends in Kindergarten
Early childhood education expert Dr. Sascha Mowrey offers some tips.
A guide to elementary school success
Early childhood education expert Dr. Sascha Mowrey shares how to help your child succeed in elementary school.