Missouri State University policy requires all education students to have current professional liability insurance during all practicum and student teaching experiences. Students must provide verification of current professional liability insurance to the Educational Field Experiences office.
Students may purchase insurance from either Missouri State Teachers Association or Missouri National Education Association, both of which provide professional liability insurance for educators. See notes below regarding Counseling student and Child Life student professional liability insurance instructions.
- Missouri State Teachers Association (MSTA): Insurance is obtained by joining or renewing your membership by clicking here. Select the STUDENT MSTA option. If you need assistance or have questions, contact Member Care Center (800-392-0532, ext. 1203). When the transaction is complete, you will receive a "Verification of Membership" letter or a "Do Not Reply" email containing a black/white "Order Summary" which will serve as verification of compliance. A valid email receipt will contain student's full name and dates of coverage and will be available 24 hours after enrollment.
- Missouri NEA - National Education Association: Insurance is obtained by joining or renewing your Missouri NEA membership by clicking here. Select the Student Membership option. When the transaction is complete, you will receive a "verification/welcome letter" email which will serve as verification of compliance. A valid welcome letter will contain student's name and dates of coverage.
Notes for Counseling & Child Life Students
- Counseling students: Required to obtain insurance through either ACA or ASCA
- Child Life-specific professional liability insurance: Child Life students are required to obtain Child Life-specific professional liability insurance prior to enrolling in the following courses: CFD 354 Working with the Hospitalized Child, CFD 454 Therapeutic Play, CFD 499 Child Life Practicum, and CFD 466 Internship in Programs for Children, Youth, Adults, and Families. Coverage must include $1,000,000 per occurrence and $3,000,000 in aggregate.
Please follow the instructions to obtain Child Life-specific professional liability insurance:
- Students can apply online at Healthcare Providers Service Organization (HPSO) and choose “child life specialist” for the profession or area of study. Note: A social security number is required for HPSO.
- Students can contact Mercer Inc. (formerly Marsh) at 1-800-503-9230. When setting up a policy, students may be required to enroll as either a rehabilitation therapist or child development/family services counselor. Once enrolled students can work with the insurers to have their policies amended to read "child life specialist." Note: A social security number is not required for Mercer Inc.
Procedure for Submitting Verification of Compliance
Submit the email receipt/welcome letter to the Educational Field Experiences office (Hill Hall 200), electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via fax to 417-836-5008.
Expiration dates of compliance documents can be viewed in My Missouri State TEST SCORES.
Educational Field Experiences - Hill Hall 215
Compliance Documents - Hill Hall 200
Office Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
Fax number: 417-836-5008
Email Address: email@example.com