Process for School Counseling Students to request a waiver of 1 semester of Field Experience based on work on a Provisional or TAC
Reviewed by the CLSE Faculty and approved by the Department 7/27/10
All School Counseling students who hold a valid Missouri Teachers Certificate must complete 1-2 semesters of Field Experience as part of their certification program. This will be required whether or not the student has a job as a school counselor on a TAC or Provisional Certificate. No waivers of all field experience will be granted.
Students who do not hold a valid teaching certificate are required to complete two semesters of Field Experience. Those who are hired to work as a school counselor on a TAC or Provisional Certificate may be granted credit for one semester of field experience with two years experience (minimum 20 hours/week fall and spring) as a school counselor. This is consistent with the Teacher’s Aide Rule two-year requirement. This waiver is not automatic. Students should request pre-approval in writing at the beginning of their work experience. Students who wait until the end of their two years of experience to apply will delay their certification if not approved.
Students should request a waiver of one semester of Field Experience as soon as they have been hired on a Provisional or TAC and have completed one semester of Field Experience with a grade of C or higher. Students should not wait until the end of their two years of experience is complete. Students who are requesting a waiver of one semester of field experience must submit the following documentation:
- A letter requesting a waiver of one semester of Counseling Field Experience based on their work as a school counselor on a TAC or Provisional Certificate. That letter must include the following:
- Dates of Employment
- School District
- Grade level
- Specific responsibilities – this needs to be thorough and should include required training, extra responsibilities, etc.
- Name and phone number of Supervisor, and number of years in the district
- A copy of a performance evaluation showing satisfactory performance over the last year
- Verification that the student completed the DESE New Counselor Mentor Program. A copy of their Certificate of Completion meets this requirement.
- A letter of support from the direct supervisor stating that the letter the student wrote is true and accurate. Students who are requesting credit for prior experience should also include a copy of a performance evaluation completed during their two years in that position and verification of a completed DESE New Counselor Mentor Program.
All documentation should be submitted via mail, fax or email to:
Scott Fiedler – Director of Student Services
Hill Hall, room 200
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897
This documentation will then be reviewed by the students advisor, the department head of CLSE and the Certification Officer. Experience as a school counselor must be in the grade level and content the student is pursuing for certification, and activities must be comparable to the experiences gained in a field experience. If all agree, the pre-approval will be granted.
Applying the Waiver
Students who have received pre-approval for the field experience waiver at the beginning of their two years of experience will need to submit the following documentation at the end of their 2nd year as a school counselor:
- A letter from the school verifying the student has completed two years as a school counselor
- A copy of a performance evaluation completed during that two-year period.
- A copy of their Certificate of Completion for the DESE New Counselor Mentor Program.
Once this documentation has been received, the waiver will be officially granted.