Admission to the program requires the following minimum criteria:
- Students must possess a Bachelor's degree, teacher certification, as well as a Master's degree in an education-related field. They must meet the requirements for admission to graduate school as stated under the Admission to Graduate Study section of the Graduate Catalog.
- A minimum GPA of 3.25 for courses taken in the candidates Master's program.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language are required to submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based or a comparable score of 213 on the computer-based TOEFL are required for admission.
- A student who does not meet all the above criteria, but who demonstrates outstanding potential, may be fully admitted by the Program Coordinator on the basis of individual merit.
Any coursework completed prior to program admittance may be unacceptable for the program.
Program admission procedures
To be considered for admission to this program, a student must apply through the Graduate College (refer to the Graduate College, Admission to Graduate Study, Admission Requirements) and submit the following to the Program Coordinator of the SETL:
- A letter containing teaching and professional goals, future plans, background information, teaching experiences, and the emphasis/elective area of interest to the candidate.
- A copy of an appropriate teacher certification or eligibility for teacher certification by a state agency. Application without certification or eligibility may be accepted with permission from the Program Coordinator.
- Submission of three letters or recommendation from professionals familiar with the candidate's academic abilities and teaching potential.