All emphasis areas have specific course requirements. Please refer to your curriculum sheet for your emphasis area requirements. You must earn a "C" or better in all child and family development courses in order to meet requirements for graduation. Failure to do so may delay your graduation. You will need to re-take any CFD courses that you receive a "C" in.
Child and Family Development (Comprehensive)
Admission Requirements for the Child Life Option
The Child and Family Development Child Life Option has a selective admission policy. Child Life Option students must complete and meet the following application requirements. Students will write a one page essay describing their interest in a career to become a Child Life Specialist and the role of a Child Life Specialist. Students must have a 3.00 cumulative GPA, 100 hours of verified volunteer experience in a hospital setting, two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from the hospital volunteer site. Applications for the Child Life Option must be submitted to the Childhood Education and Family Studies Department office during the semester prior to junior year by February 28. As this is a competitive program, admission is not guaranteed.
Transfer students must also apply for admission for the Child Life Option. Transfer students must meet with a Child Life advisor to determine when they are eligible to complete the application and essay. All students must adhere to the deadlines stated above.
The application and resume will be reviewed by a committee appointed by the Department Head. Criteria for selection will be based on GPA, written essay, two letters of recommendation and verified volunteer hours. Students will be notified of the decision in writing by March 31. Students who are not accepted into the program may reapply in the following semester.
Complete one of the following options:
- Child Development (25 hours): CFD 250(3), 255(3), 260(4), 301(3), 360(5), 455(4), 560(3)
- Child Life (45 hours): CFD 260(4), 301(3), 306(3), 353(3), 354(4), 454(3), 455(4), 499(3), 510(3), 560(3), 580(3); LLT 102(2); BMS 307(4); COM 206(3)
- Family Studies (26 hours): CFD 250(3), 361(3); 306(3) or 365(3); 532(3), 533(4), 534(1), 560(3); COM 506(3); FCS 373(3)
- Youth Development (21 hours): CFD 250(3), 260(4), 301(3), 360(5), 505(3), 560(3)
- With approval of advisor, complete support electives to bring total hours in degree to a minimum of 125: Child Development (23 hours), Child Life (3 hours), Family Studies (22 hours), Youth Development (27 hours)
Candidates for the Bachelor of Science in Child and Family Development are required to meet the following grade requirement: a grade of "C" or better in each CFD course or any required course for the options required for graduation.
Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of CFD 466(6).