Admission to this graduate program has been suspended.
Why pursue a graduate certificate in orientation and mobility at Missouri State?
Our department offers a graduate certificate in orientation and mobility to non-degree seeking individuals, or as a an add-on to an existing education with blindness and low vision emphasis. This certificate program is specially designed to meet the need for orientation and mobility specialists and is aligned to the standards set by the Association of Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (AER) and the Academy of Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals (ACVREP).
Why study orientation and mobility at Missouri State?
- Our program is the only one in the multi-state region.
- Small cohorts of individuals pursuing certification will be identified based upon individual qualifications.
- Many courses are available online for flexibility.
- An instructor will conduct an intensive course in which participants will spend several hours each day over eight weeks under the blindfold practicing instructional techniques and strategies of orientation and mobility.
- This program will prepare you to sit for the ACVREP International Certification Exam in orientation and mobility. Upon completion of the exam, and its related requirements, you will be certified as an orientation and mobility specialist.
Using specialized skills beyond a degree
Upon completion of this certificate program, our students are prepared to work as orientation and mobility specialists in public and residential schools serving students with blindness or low vision. Additionally, students are prepared to work in settings such as state blindness and vocational rehabilitation agencies, veteran’s administration blind rehabilitation centers, public and private rehabilitation facilities, early childhood centers, rehabilitation hospitals, and as private contractors.