Although the following are not application requirements, it is strongly advised to complete these steps as soon as possible.
The Missouri Content Assessment(s) (MoCAs) are content area exams taken by all candidates who are pursuing a teaching certificate in Missouri. Passing the MoCA(s) is required for certification and demonstrates subject-matter competency in the content area.
- When the MoCA is passed, the student is no longer required to complete any remaining coursework deficiencies in the content area unless it is required by the department. The student who passes the MoCA(s) is now considered "alternative" as defined by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
- As an alternative student, applications for teaching positions in the Secondary Education (9-12 or K-12) grade levels can be submitted to school(s). To meet certification requirements, the teaching position must be in the content area and grade level for which certification is being sought. Teaching while pursuing certification can be done by applying to DESE for a provisional certificate. This application can be submitted after a teaching job contract is signed.
FBI Fingerprinting Background Check
- Missouri State University requires a current MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting national background check by the completion of your first MAT course.
- Register for the MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting background check here. Choose Option 1: MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting national background check. Then, follow the MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting registration instructions.
- Please note: the MOVECHS waiver agreement must be completed prior to registration for MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting.
- At the time of certification, DESE requires a DESE FBI fingerprinting background check.