Admission and Program Requirements
Apply on GradCAS
Master of Arts in Teaching
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program is a combined graduate degree and initial teacher certification program intended for individuals who hold at least a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college/university. The MAT is a teacher certification program approved by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and is intended for secondary-level and middle-level future educators. The MAT program provides the opportunity for multiple content area certifications and includes extensive site-based clinical experiences in area schools building upon the candidates' previous coursework and experiences.
- Applicants must meet minimum Graduate College requirements for admission.
- Applicants must hold at least a bachelor’s degree or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Admission to the MAT will include a departmental review, and a transcript analysis completed by the Professional Education Services office.
Degree requirements (minimum of 36-37 hrs)
- All students must attempt the Missouri Content Assessment(s) (MoCA) before the end of their first semester of coursework.
- All students must pass the MoCA(s) prior to their student teaching semester.
- A “B” or better is required in all coursework.
- Completion of Missouri Volunteer and Employee Criminal History Service (MOVECHS) waiver and FBI Fingerprinting Background Check prior to starting the second semester of MAT graduate courses. For more information, refer to Compliance Documents Required for Practicum, Internship or Student Teaching, found on the Professional Education Services website.
|Philosophies of Education
Foundations of Middle Level Education
|Introduction to Teaching and Learning
Advanced Theory & Practice in Teaching Early Adolescents
|Applied Educational Research
|Educational Applications of Computers in the Classroom
Selection and Utilization of Educational Technology
Teaching Science Using Technology in the Classroom and Laboratory
|Psychology of Education
|Foundations in Special Education
|Content Area Literacy
|Analysis and Correction of Difficulties in Adolescent Literacy
Analysis and Correction of Difficulties in Literacy
|Internship in Teaching I: Teaching Practicum
Internship in Teaching Secondary Science I
|Internship in Teaching II: Student Teaching
Internship in Teaching Secondary Science II
*Candidates seeking secondary science (9-12) content certification may choose an alternative science research course in consultation with their academic advisor.
Advisement will be facilitated by the MAT Academic Advisor in cooperation with the MAT Program Director. The Office of Professional Education Services will monitor the certification process. Content area requirements are determined by the Professional Education Services office as part of the transcript analysis process.
Research and Comprehensive Examination requirements
Candidates will enroll in SFR 781 (Applied Educational Research), which will provide instruction on how to utilize and implement educational research to enhance their classroom practice. This course will introduce candidates to action research and will culminate in a research project presented to the Program Director during their student teaching semester. This project will satisfy their comprehensive examination requirement.
Graduation requirementsIn addition to requirements established by the Graduate College, MAT candidates are required to:
1. Complete all MAT-required coursework with a "B" grade or higher.
2. Meet GPA requirements established by Missouri's Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) for educators.
3. Complete all research and comprehensive examination requirements (both satisfied through successful completion of SFR 781)..
To be recommended for teacher certification, MAT candidates are required to:
- Meet all Missouri teacher certification requirements, which are in effect at the time of certification.
- Complete all Professional Education and content courses with a combined (Missouri State and transfer) GPA of 3.00 or higher.
- Pass the Missouri Content Assessment (MoCA).
- Pass the Missouri Educator Evaluation System (MEES) during student teaching.
Recommended: Pass the MoCA exam and background check
Although the following are not admission requirements, it is strongly advised to complete these steps as soon as possible.
Missouri Content Assessment (MoCA) exam
The Missouri Content Assessment (MoCA) are content area exams taken by all candidates who pursue a teaching certificate in Missouri.
You must pass the MoCA(s) for certification. Passing the MoCA shows your competency in the content area.
- When you pass the MoCA(s), you no longer need to complete any remaining course work deficiencies in your content area unless required by the department. Passing the MoCA classifies you as “alternative” as defined by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
- As an alternative student, your applications for teaching positions in the secondary education (9-12 or K-12) grade levels can be submitted to school(s). To meet certification requirements, the teaching position must be in the content area and grade level for which you’re seeking certification.
You can teach while pursuing certification by applying to DESE for a provisional certificate. You can submit this application after you sign your teaching job contract.
FBI background checks
You must also pass two FBI background checks – one for Missouri State University and one for DESE.
- Missouri State University requires a current MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting national background
check before you complete your first Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) course.
- You must complete the MOVECHS waiver agreement before you register for MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting.
- At the time of certification, DESE requires a DESE FBI fingerprinting background check.