Why earn a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree at Missouri State?
- Take an alternative route to teaching – If you have a bachelor’s degree (non-education) and now want to teach at the K-12 level, this program is for you.
- Teach your favorite subject – From science and math to history and the fine arts, you can earn teaching certification in the area you enjoy most.
- Attend your classes online – No need to quit your job while you get your degree. The MAT program's online format can fit your schedule.
- Enjoy a better salary – With a master’s degree, you’ll start your teaching career on the higher end of the pay scale.
What do you want to teach?
The MAT degree leads to teaching certification in these content areas.
- Fine arts: Art, speech and theater, music.
- Humanities: Social sciences (history).
- Languages: Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, language arts, Latin, Spanish.
- Sciences: Biology, chemistry, Earth science, math, physics.
- Others: Business, family and consumer sciences, physical education.
Your bachelor’s degree just needs to be related to the area you want to teach.
“The program has given me insight into best teaching practices and opened my mind in such a way that will help me in any classroom.”
Jordan Endicott, student, MAT program.
You can earn your degree in two years. We’ll create a plan that suits your needs.
Add a related graduate certificate to your degree
Boost your qualifications for the classroom.
Careers and outcomes
A teaching shortage in Missouri means your services will be in demand.