Dr. Stefanie D. Livers
Childhood Ed and Family Studies
- PhD, Curriculum & Instruction: Mathematics Education, 2012, University of Louisville
- MAT, Early Childhood Education, K-5, 1997, University of Louisville
- BA, Psychology, minor in Sociology, 1994, University of Louisville
- ELE 429: Methods of Teaching Mathematics in Elementary Schools
- ELE 772: Seminar in Education
Her research agenda focuses on three main areas of interest within the overarching field of mathematics teaching and learning. My three areas are 1) developing effective elementary teacher preparation programs in mathematics education; 2) supporting inservice teachers of mathematics through coaching models and professional development; and 3) analyzing the instructional practice of teachers in respect to tasks, differentiation, and issues of equity.
Awards and honors
- National Board Certified Teacher 2001, 2011
- Mathematics Education “Service, Teaching and Research” or STaR fellow (4th Cohort)
- Livers, S.D., & Elmore, P. (In Press). Attending to precision: Vocabulary support in middle school mathematics classrooms. Reading and Writing Quarterly.
- Livers, S. D. (In Press). Tools for successful leadership. Teacher Leadership in Professional Development Schools. United Kingdom. Emerald Group Publishing.
- Livers, S. D. & Lin, L. (In Press). Elementary teacher candidates’ perspectives on the teaching and learning of English learners. In Thomas (Ed.) Advocacy in Academia and the Role of Teacher Preparation Programs. Hershey: PA. IGI Global.
- Livers, S.D. & Karp, K.S. (In Press). The power of context: Promoting equity and access in mathematics learning using children’s literature. In E.E. Monroe, & T. Young (Eds.) Deepening Children’s Mathematical Understanding with Children’s Literature. Reston: VA. NCTM.
- Livers, S.D. (2017). Let’s build roller coasters! ASCD Express, 12(21). Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/ascd-express/vol12/1221-livers.aspx
- Gleason, J., Livers, S.D., & Zelkowski, J. (2017). Mathematics classroom observation protocol for practices (MCOP2): A Validation Study. RCML Investigations in Mathematics Learning, 9(3), 111-129
- Livers, S.D. (2016). The importance of preparing university supervisors for coaching elementary mathematics. The Field Experience Journal, 18(Fall), 20-51.
- Livers, S.D. & Bay-Williams, J. (2014). Constructing (not obstructing) meaning. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 20(3), 153-159.
- Livers, S. D. (2013). You can’t do that with a worksheet. ASCD Express, 8(24). Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/ascd-express/vol8/824-livers.aspx
- Bay-Williams, J. & Livers, S.D. (2009). Making decisions about vocabulary support in mathematics teaching. Teaching Children Mathematics, 16(4), 238 –245.