Dr. Stefanie D. Livers
Childhood Ed and Family Studies
- PhD, Curriculum and Instruction: Mathematics Education, 2012, University of Louisville
- MAT, Early Childhood Education: K-5, 1997, University of Louisville
- BA, Psychology, Sociology minor, 1994, University of Louisville
- ELE 429 Methods of Teaching Mathematics in Elementary Schools
- ELE 715 Advanced Theory and Practice in the Teaching of Mathematics
- ELE 772 Seminar in Education
- Livers, S.D., & Elmore, P. (In Press). Attending to precision: Vocabulary support in middle school mathematics classrooms. Reading and Writing Quarterly.
- Livers, S. D. (In Press). Tools for successful leadership. Teacher Leadership in Professional Development Schools. United Kingdom. Emerald Group Publishing.
- Livers, S. D. & Lin, L. (In Press). Elementary teacher candidates’ perspectives on the teaching and learning of English learners. In Thomas (Ed.) Advocacy in Academia and the Role of Teacher Preparation Programs. Hershey: PA. IGI Global.
- Livers, S.D. & Karp, K.S. (In Press). The power of context: Promoting equity and access in mathematics learning using children’s literature. In E.E. Monroe, & T. Young (Eds.) Deepening Children’s Mathematical Understanding with Children’s Literature. Reston: VA. NCTM.
- Livers, S.D. (2017). Let’s build roller coasters! ASCD Express, 12(21). Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/ascd-express/vol12/1221-livers.aspx
- Gleason, J., Livers, S.D., & Zelkowski, J. (2017). Mathematics classroom observation protocol for practices (MCOP2): A Validation Study. RCML Investigations in Mathematics Learning, 9(3), 111-129
- Livers, S.D. (2016). The importance of preparing university supervisors for coaching elementary mathematics. The Field Experience Journal, 18(Fall), 20-51.
- Livers, S.D. & Bay-Williams, J. (2014). Constructing (not obstructing) meaning. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School, 20(3), 153-159.
- Livers, S. D. (2013). You can’t do that with a worksheet. ASCD Express, 8(24). Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/ascd-express/vol8/824-livers.aspx
- Bay-Williams, J. & Livers, S.D. (2009). Making decisions about vocabulary support in mathematics teaching. Teaching Children Mathematics, 16(4), 238 –245.
Research and professional interests
Dr. Stefanie Livers's research agenda is focused on the development and support of a critical perspective of mathematics teaching and learning. This is covered within three areas: teacher preparation, teacher support, and teacher practice. Specifically:
- Developing effective elementary teacher preparation programs especially in mathematics education
- Supporting in-service teachers of mathematics through coaching models and professional development
- Analyzing the instructional practice of teachers in respect to tasks, differentiation and issues of equity
Awards and honors
- Missouri State University Certified Distance Educator Award, 2018
- Mathematics Education Service, Teaching and Research, a.k.a. STaR, fellow (4th Cohort), 2013
- National Board Certified Teacher, 2001 and 2011